Thursday, February 14, 2008

Healthy Diet

Healthy Diet.
Just a word about eating healthy, something that is only a matter of opinion. And everyone’s opinion changes everyday. This week it seems sweeteners are on the no list.
While fixing a salad the other day I thought oh how healthy and if I did this more often I maybe could loose weight. Then I looked at all the healthy things I had included. First I had Spring Greens for the base. On top of that I had added an egg for protein, walnuts for Omega 3’s then cottage cheese for dairy and mandarin oranges as my fruit, then toped this with walnut and raspberry dressing the lite version. Good thing I was not eating anything else because by the time I had all this my calorie count was way over the top. Forget about loosing weight.
I had just read that to have good skin you needed to eat the proper things. Like 10 olives each day. And of course you are to have a handful of nuts and protein from whatever is in vogue this week. I prefer lean meat or eggs but the so called experts want me to eat fish and chicken and I don’t really like either of those choices. But what I was getting at was if you eat everything the experts want you to you are eating all day and still not eating all you should. Like 5 vegs and 5 fruits each day. Then there is the grain issue.
I happen to be wheat/gluten intolerant so no wheat, barley or rye for me. That keeps a lot of things off my table. Some of that is a good thing. But I worry about getting enough vitamin e that you get from wheat germ and fiber from whole grain bread. I know fruit has a lot of fiber but then again do we eat the right kinds and enough. I know I am better off not eating fried foods which are pretty much a no because of the breading. But do you know how badly I would like to have an order of Fried Onion Rings. I have invested in several wheat free cookbooks and can find alternate flours for about everything but that means I have to fix it myself and most of the things I want I am better off without, like the fried onion rings. Although they are a vegetable so maybe I should try to fix them some time.
Donuts are another thing I miss, since I only like yeast donuts and have only found recopies for cake donuts I guess I will just have to let the rest of you have my share of the yeast donuts with chocolate icing and sprinkles.

No comments: